4th Infantry Division
Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion
The Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion of the 4th Infantry Division was constituted in the Regular Army as Headquarters, 4th Division November 19, 1917. It was organized on December 10, 1917 at Camp Greene, North Carolina. The unit was inactivated September 21, 1921 at Camp Lewis, Washington and re-activated June 1, 1940 at Fort Benning, Georgia.
On August 1, 1942, the unit was reorganized and re-designated as Headquarters, 4th Motorized Division. It was again reorganized and re-designated on August 4, 1943 as Headquarters, 4th Infantry Division. The unit was inactivated march 12, 1946 at Camp Butner, North Carolina and re-activated July 15, 1947 at Fort Ord, California.
HHBN was further reorganized and re-designated three more times. First, on June 13, 1960 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th Infantry Division; second, on December 16, 2004 as Headquarters and Tactical Command Posts, 4th Infantry Division; and third, on May 16, 2009 as the Division Special Troops Battalion, 4th Infantry Division.
The headquarters element of the 4th Infantry Division has participated in the following campaigns: Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, Champagne 1918 and Lorraine 1918 (WWI); Normandy (with arrowhead), Northern France, Rhinleand, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe (WWII); Counteroffensive Phase II, Counteroffensive Phase III, Tet Counteroffensive; Counteroffensive Phase IV, Counteroffensive Phase V, Counteroffensive Phase VI, Tet 69/Counteroffensive, Summer-Fall 1969, Winter-Spring 1970, Sanctuary Counteroffensive and Counteroffensive Phase VII (Vietnam).