Paying For Your Education Army Continuing Education System

Educational Funding Services

Tuition Assistance


The Department of Defense implemented a standardized tuition assistance (TA) policy across the services.

  • 16 semester hours per fiscal year
  • 100% tuition paid up to $250 per semester hour or $166.67 per quarter hour (not including fees or textbooks).

Before obtaining TA, Soldiers must visit an education counselor to declare an educational goal/plan.

The TA program provides financial assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier's professional and personal self-development goals. All Soldiers on Active Duty, Army National Guard and Army Reserve are authorized to participate in the TA program. An Active Duty Service Obligation (ADSO) / Reserve Duty Service Obligation (RDSO) is incurred by all commissioned officers using TA.


Soldiers may have to repay the government for the following:

  • Withdrawing from a course
  • Failing to complete a course
  • Academically failing a course
Soldiers/Students Checking Out Their Opportunities

VA Benefits

The following is a brief summary of veterans' education benefits. For additional information, please visit the VA web site at .

How is my GI Bill Entitlement Charged?

You get 36 months of full-time entitlement under most GI Bill programs for Post 9/11. In most cases, your entitlement is charged according to your training time. Therefore, if your are training fulltime for four months you use up four months of entitlement, likewise if you are training at 1/2 time for four months you use up two months of entitlement.

If you are enrolled in an apprenticeship/on-the-job training program your entitlement is charged according to the amount of benefits you are receiving.

If you are enrolled in an accelerated training program your entitlement is charged based on the amount of benefits you utilize.

If you would like to know how many months of entitlement you have remaining please call 1-888-GIBILL-1.

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (DEA)

DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition. The program offers up to 45 months of education benefits. These benefits may be used for degree and certificate programs, apprenticeship, and on-the-job training. If you are a spouse, you may take a correspondence course. Remedial, deficiency, and refresher courses may be approved under certain circumstances.


Montgomery G.I. Bill

What is the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30)?

The Montgomery GI Bill, called "MGIB" for short, provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans for:

When does this class start?
  • College, Business, Technical or Vocational school.
  • On-the-Job Training and Apprenticeship programs.
  • Remedial, Deficiency, and Refresher Training (in some cases).
  • The cost of tests for licenses or certifications needed to get, keep, or advance in a job.
  • Tuition Assistance: "Top-Up".
  • Correspondence Courses.
  • Flight Training (in some cases).
  • National Tests.

Generally, benefits are payable for 10-years following release from active duty. This program is also commonly known as Chapter 30.

Who is eligible for benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33)?

Individuals who serve at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, are elgible. Generally, benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

  • To be eligible for 100 percent of the benefit, an individual must have served an average of 36 months of active duty service, or have been discharged for a service-connected disability after 30 days or continuous service.
    NOTE: Active-duty service time required by graduates of a Service Academy or ROTC does not count toward the three years necessary to qualify for full benefits.
  • For those who served fewer than 36 months, the percentage of benefit ranges from 40% to 90%:

    Including service on active duty in entry level and skill training.

    90% - 30 total months

    80% - 24 total months

    EXCLUDING service on active duty in entry level and skill training.

    70% - 18 total months

    60% - 12 total months

    50% - six total months

    40% - 90 or more days

  • Veterans must have an honorable discharge or other qualifying discharge (e.g. hardship, condition interfering with duty, etc.) to be eligible.
  • Information sessions are offered at the Fort Carson Education Center, 1675 Long Street, building 1117.
  • Monday - Thursday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.

Tuition Assistance Top-Up Program

On October 30, 2000, the President signed into law an amendment to the Montgomery GI Bill. The Amendment addressed the Active Duty education program that permits VA to pay a tuition assistance Top-up benefit. The amount of the benefit can be equal to the difference between the total cost of a college course and the amount of tuition assistance that is paid by the military for the course.

To be eligible for the Top-up benefit, the person must be approved for federal Tuition Assistance and be eligible for MGIB-Active Duty benefits. To be eligible for MGIB benefits, the person must be an MGIB Chapter 30 participant and must have served at least two-full years on active duty. Top Up can also be used with the Post 9/11 GI Bill.

The amount of the benefit is limited to the amount that the person receives for the same course if regular MGIB benefits were being paid. In no case can the amount paid by the military combined with the amount paid by VA be more than the total cost of the course.

Let me get some studying done while I wait.

If a person receives the Top-up benefit, their regular MGIB benefits will be reduced. The amount of entitlement charged for Top-up payments is determined by dividing the amount of the payment by the claimant's full-time monthly rate.

The benefit is available for all courses that began on or after Oct. 30, 2000. A copy of the Tuition Assistance Authorization form for the course that has been signed by an authorized military official will be required. People who have not requested GI Bill benefits before should submit a VA Form 22-1990 to establish eligibility.

If you are interested in using Top-Up with MGIB, please stop by the Education Center and see a counselor who can provide you with the necessary forms and answer your questions before you apply for benefits.

Loan Repayment Program

The Loan Repayment Program (LRP) is a special enlistment incentive the Army offers to qualified applicants at the time of enlistment. Under the LRP, the Army will repay up to $65,000 toward the remaining original unpaid principal of a Soldier’s qualifying student loan(s).

The LRP must be guaranteed in the Soldier’s enlistment contract on DA Form 3286-66. To ensure that all necessary steps have been completed to process your LRP, contact the Education Center. .

What are my responsibilities as a LRP participant?

It is important to remember that the Army never assumes your loan(s) under the LRP. You always remain responsible for the status of the loan(s) and the loan must always be in good standing. The Army will NOT pay on loans that are in default. In addition to coordinating with EICB, you must ensure that EICB receives the completed LRP verification paperwork (DD Form 2475) back from the loan holders so that EICB can initiate the repayment process.

Additionally, if your loan(s) is sold to another lender and/or if your home address changes, it is your responsibility to immediately provide EICB with this information. It is not uncommon for loan holders to sell loans to other lending agencies. EICB must have the current addresses of all LRP participants and loan holders. This information is critical for so that repayment checks sent by DFAS will arrive at the correct place.

Whom do I contact if I have any questions about the Loan Repayment Program?

The Education Incentives and Counseling Branch (EICB), number and address below, is responsible for administering the LRP and answering any questions on LRP policy and procedures. This office will also send out critical paperwork (loan verification forms) which LRP participants and loan holders must complete before any payments can be made on a participant’s loan. Here is how to contact the EICB:

Up the Educational Latter We Go U.S. Army Human Resources Command
ATTN: AHRC-PDP-E (Dept 480)
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue
Fort Knox, KY 40122-5408

Tel. 1-800-872-8272

Licensing and Certification Benefit

VA now reimburses some Licensing and Certification Tests. You can receive reimbursement for licensing and certification tests taken on or after March 1, 2001. These tests must be specifically approved for the G.I. Bill. VA can pay only for the cost of the tests and not other fees connected with obtaining a license or certification. Information on which tests are approved and procedures for reimbursement can be found on the VA website at .

Scholarships & Grants

There are many resources to research scholarships and grants available to help fund education. The Education Center offers the information below to assist you. You may also visit room 150 for a listing of websites.

Financial aid advising is available through Trio at the Education Center on Tuesday from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. and Wednesday from noon - 4 p.m. in room 114. Call 526-4121 to make an appointment with the Trio representative.

Need help with your Pell grant and/or FAFSA application?

For income verification, please bring the following information (as applicable) to your appointment:

  • Federal Income Tax W2's
  • Unemployment
  • Worker's Compensation
  • Child Support (paid & received)
  • Military Leave & Earnings' Statement
  • List of People Residing in Household
  • Social Security Income
  • Social Security Card
  • Veteran's Disability
  • Immigrant Registration Card
  • Driver's License
  • Investments

Financial Aid Websites

  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
  • .
Soldiers/Student Working Towards a Degree

My CAA Fact Sheet

Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Program (MyCAA)

The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Program (MyCAA) is a career development and employment assistance program sponsored by the Department of Defense (DoD). MyCAA helps military spouses pursue licenses, certificates, certifications or Associate's Degrees (excluding Associate's Degrees in General Studies, Liberal Arts, and interdisciplinary studies that do not have a concentration) necessary for gainful employment in high demand, high growth Portable Career Fields and Occupations.

As part of the Military Spouse's Career Lifecycle, MyCAA offers the following:

  • Training and Education Financial Assistance:

    MyCAA provides a maximum education benefit of $4,000 with an annual fiscal year cap of $2,000 to assist eligible military spouses who need professional credentials to meet their Portable Career goals. Annual cap waivers are available if there is an upfront tuition cost that exceeds $2,000 (up to the maximum education benefit of $4,000).

  • Employment Readiness Counseling:

    Counseling services are provided to all military spouses married to active duty service members of all ranks, regardless of their eligibilty to receive MyCAA financial assistance and their desire to pursue higher levels of education. Counseling services help military spouses identify additional sources of federal, state and local financial assistance, expanded career choices and opportunites, and support resources (e.g. child care, transportation, books, computers, equipment, supplies, etc.).

  • Employment Assistance and Career Services:

    Referrals are made to networks of military friendly employers for MyCAA spouse participants who have completed their programs of study using MyCAA funding and who are ready to seek gainful employment.

Soldiers/Students Taking a Break

Who is eligible for MyCAA Financial Assistance?

  • Spouses of Service Members on active duty in ranks private to sergeant, warrant officer to chief warrant officer two, and second lieutenant to first lieutenant who can start and complete their coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders, including spouses married to members of the National Guard and Reserve Components in the same pay grades.
  • Those who are not eligible include:
    • Spouses married to service members in the ranks: staff sergeant and above; chief warrant officer three and above; and captain and above.
    • Spouses who are a member of the armed forces themselves currently on Title 10 orders.
    • Spouses who are married but legally separated (or under court orders or statutes of any state or US territory) from a member of the armed forces on Title 10 orders.
    • Spouses whose National Guard/Reserve component military sponsor is in a Warning Orders/Alert, Post Deployment/Demobilization or Transistion status.
    • Spouses married to a member of the Coast Guard.
    • Spouses who are unable to start and complete their course(s) while their military sponsor is on Title 10 orders.
  • What will MyCAA pay for?

    Tuition costs for education and training courses and examinations leading to an Associate's Degree (excluding Associate's Degrees in General Studies, Liberal Arts, and interdisciplinary Studies that do not have a concentration), license, certificate or certification at an accredited college, university, or technical school in the United States or approved testing organization that expands employment or Portable career opportunities for military spouses.

  • MyCAA will NOT pay for the following:
    • Tuition for courses and examinations that are not included in the spouse's Education and Training Plan and those that have already started or been completed by the spouse.
    • Reimbursements of any kind.
    • Books, supplies, equipment, uniforms, computers and electronic devices of any kind.
    • Student activities, events, and entertainment.
    • Pre-payment/deposits for future courses, unless costs are part of a block of study.
    • School or college level entrance examinations, comprehensive exams and related preparatory courses.
    • Courses, tests, or fees normally paid by an employer as part of a job training program.
    • Non-academic credit or ungraded courses, including courses taken on an audit basis or as an internship, practicum, apprenticeship, or clinical supervision; also, orientation programs that are non-academic credit or unrated.
    • Courses taken more than one time unless MyCAA has received a full refund from the school.
    • Academic credit by examination tests (e.g. CLEP, etc.).
    • General Studies, Liberal Arts, Interdisciplinary Associate's Degrees that do not have a concentration.
    • Personal enrichment courses (excluding programs of study offered by participating MyCAA schools on overseas military bases).
    • Private licenses (Example: A private pilot's license would not be covered because it is for recreational use but a commercial pilot's license would be covered because it would be used for an occupation).
    • High school completion programs, incuding online high school completion programs.
    • CEU's to maintain a standing in a professional organization.
  • How can you establish a MyCAA Account?

    Visit the MyCAA Spouse Portal online at . Provide required Spouse Profile information. A real-time DEERS eligibility check will confirm if you meet MyCAA eligibility requirements so you can move forward and establish your MyCAA Account. Those who do not pass this check will be provided additional guidance.

  • How can you provide MyCAA with feedback?

    E-Mail to send MyCAA your ideas and recommendations. Visit (  ) to provide information about the MyCAA program experience once gainful employment, is found.

  • For more scholarship information.

    Please visit our TRIO office in the Education Center, Room 114. Their representative will be happy to assist you with Scholarship and Grant Information. No appointment necessary.

One of the represented school at the Education Center